What’s on your Christmas list this year? Are you going to get everything you asked for? Are you going to be too stressed out to enjoy the items that fill your stocking anyway? This year, I’m not.
When Nanny recently asked my son what would happen if he didn’t get everything he wanted for Christmas, he quickly responded, “I’ll be happy with what I do get.” My daughter often states, “It’s not about the presents but about celebrating Jesus’ birth and spending time with family.” Am I proud of their answers? Yes. Is it possible they are just telling us what we want to hear? Maybe. But their responses this year have made me check my motives and ask how I’m doing with remembering why Christmas is important.
This month has felt calmer and less stressful than other years, despite sadness and concern for several special people in my life.
Here are a few things I’m focusing on, to keep my attitude on track during this holiday season:
1. Continually counting my blessings
2. Enjoying friends and family more often
3. Worrying less about perfection
4. Giving or serving in my church and community
5. Saying yes to my kids more often
6. Remembering Jesus, not just as the infant in the manger, but as the man who died so you and I could have eternal life
I always feel like there is so much more I could do differently but this year, I’ve made steps in the right direction.
Merry Christmas to you all! All the best to you and yours in 2016.
How do you keep the Spirit of Christmas alive? Are you doing anything different this year?